Wednesday 18 September 2019

Review: Holding on to Forever

Holding on to Forever Holding on to Forever by Siobhan Davis
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I’m always happy to dive into a new Siobhan Davis release, but I fear I’m going to be in the minority with this one. I was ready for an emotional book, one that broke me, but I found myself unable to connect with this one. Whilst the story had me reading to the end, I was never invested in the way I had hoped to be.

Siobhan Davis and S.B. Alexander make a great writing team, the story flowed so well together. Although I was able to work out who wrote what, this was nothing to do with their styles not matching. They matched really well, I simply know Siobhan Davis a bit too well after so many books. I can certainly see them writing more together, with the stories flowing as well as this one did.

As well as they worked together, Holding on to Forever failed to bring out the emotions I had expected. I was waiting for the feels to hit me, for me to become invested and in love with the characters, but that moment never came. I kept turning the pages to see how everything came together, yet it wasn’t enough for me to love this one.

I think, in part, it was due to my inability to believe the addiction storyline in this one. It’s something I’m a bit critical about, having known many people with addictions, and with Holding on to Forever it felt like it was put into the storyline and used when was necessary. The rest of the time, it seemed to slip away. Which, trust me, is not how addiction works. It’s always there, an insidious beast, in the back of the mind. Due to this, I had trouble accepting that part of the storyline.

Don’t get me wrong, the story came together well. It was interesting enough to have me turning the pages, but I didn’t believe it in the way I’d hoped. Add in the fact that I never really felt the chemistry between the two characters, and I find myself in the minority about this one.

I’m sure many will love this, but, unfortunately, I’m going to be sitting here in the minority corner.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment