Monday 30 September 2019

Review: I'll Keep You Safe

I'll Keep You Safe I'll Keep You Safe by Peter May
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I’m a huge Peter May fan. After devouring the Lewis trilogy, I was desperate for more. I had a lot of fun with the author’s other series – the Enzo Files and the China series – along with some of the standalones I picked up. Thus, I found myself hopeful for another great standalone through I’ll Keep You Safe.

As much as I wanted to enjoy this one, I was disappointed by it. In fact, it’s my least favourite Peter May read. I was never sucked into this in the way I had hoped for, and the mystery aspect failed to grab me. To be brutally honest, at times it felt like a bit of a chore. There was never anything that left me desperate for more – instead, it felt like a lot of possibilities were introduced and never really taken as far as they could have been.

I think the thing that let me down the most, however, was the ending. It was intended to surprise, but I found myself rolling my eyes instead. It felt like a cheat, which isn’t like Peter May at all. Therefore, I’m putting this one down as a blip and hoping my next Peter May read is better.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment