Wednesday 18 September 2019

Review: Traveller Inceptio

Traveller Inceptio Traveller Inceptio by Rob Shackleford
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Although I love science fiction, I’m extremely picky when it comes to the genre. More than I am with other genres, if I’m honest. My feelings towards Traveller Inceptio reflect this: whilst I found this to be an interesting tale, it failed to tick the boxes that make me fall in love.

I think the biggest reason for this is the fact I’m an instant gratification kind of person when it comes to my science fiction reads. I like lots of action from the start, and this one was slow to truly get going. It was interesting to see the two different stories playing out, leaving me curious as to how they would come together, but I did find my interest waning when it took a while for things to truly start. In fact, there were times when I found myself putting the book aside when we were given exposition on aspects that seemed unimportant in the grand scheme of things. As I said, I’m an instant gratification kind of person with science fiction, so I’m sure many will be fine with the slower nature of this book.

Later in the book, when things were moving at a faster pace, I did become more interested. I never fell completely in love with the characters, but I was interested in how the story would play out. I can certainly see those who were invested from the start having a lot of fun with the way the story played out, but I was never quite as into it as I could have been.

Overall, I think this was another of those cases where I was the issue not the book. It was certainly an interesting tale, but it wasn’t what I look for in my science fiction reads.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment