Tuesday 10 September 2019

Review: Shameless Duke

Shameless Duke Shameless Duke by Scarlett Scott
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Scarlett Scott’s League of Dukes series is one of my favourite historical romance series. I get excited at the news of more, and happily dive into the next story when I managed to get my hands on it. In fact, I devour each story in a single sitting.

Such is what happened with Shameless Duke.

Like all the League of Dukes books, Shameless Duke works perfectly as a standalone novel. You get more from the story if you have read the other books – as it gives you a better understanding of side characters and the way events have been building throughout – but it is not necessary to have read the prior books to enjoy this one. Each story is complete and gives you plenty to enjoy, hooking you throughout.

After finishing book three, Dangerous Duke, I was desperate to read Lucien’s story. I wanted more of his character and I wanted the strong woman that would bring him to his knees. Without a doubt, Shameless Duke delivered that. I adored the chemistry between the characters, loved the way they grew together, and wore a stupid smile on my face throughout most of the book. I’ve adored all of Scarlett Scott’s characters, but I think Lucien and Hazel may well be my favourites.

I will be honest, however, and say I felt the thrill and mystery of this one wasn’t quite to the same level of the prior books. It was certainly there, but this one focused a lot more on the romance than on the events going on around them. This is not a bad thing, not at all, but I am accustomed to a wee bit more tension throughout a Scarlett Scott book and with this one it all seemed to happen at stages rather than being constant. Not a bad thing, just a bit different to what I expected.

Overall, Scarlett Scott have given me another reason why I need to go and read all her other books. I say this after each Scarlett Scott read, telling myself to go and read everything else she had published, and I really need to work on doing that. There is no doubt Scarlett Scott is one of my favourite authors in the genre, and I cannot wait for book five in the League of Dukes.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment