Saturday 3 June 2017

Review: Behind the Curtain

Behind the Curtain Behind the Curtain by P.C. Zick
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Behind the Curtain, is the third book in the Behind the Love series, and it is my favourite of the first three books. I came extremely close to handing over a four star rating to this one, yet I’ve been in one of those states recently where I need to be really impressed with a story to round my rating up. Therefore, whilst I gave this one a three-point-five star rating, I’m sure many will easily hand over a full four star rating.

Behind the Altar and Behind the Bar were two very different kinds of stories, and Behind the Curtain keeps up with the constantly changing feel of the series. All the books are linked through the characters, yet the types of story that play out alter drastically. It makes for such an interesting series, leaving you unsure as to what you will get with the next book.

For me, Behind the Curtains is my favourite of the first three books because it deals with one of my favourite storylines – reality television. I’m not a fan of reality television, yet I positively adore romance novels that use it as a backdrop. These books are always filled with such tension, offering up endless drama. All the books in the Behind the Love series had delivered a decent amount of drama, yet Behind the Curtain steps the drama up some more. There is more to the story than simply drama, though. In addition to all the drama of reality television, we also have an emotional component to the story. These two elements come together so well to make for a wonderful tale.

The only reason I rounded my rating down, is because I’m accustomed to more drama in my reality television reads. There was a decent amount of drama in this one, yes, but it seemed lacking in comparison to what I’m accustomed to in such books. I loved all the drama that unfolded, but I kept waiting for something a little bit more. I especially wanted more reality television drama between the two main characters of the story – it felt as though they had their one big moment, and then were brushed under the rug for other things. I’m used to these kind of things being turned into massive things, and was constantly waiting for that something more to hit.

As with the prior book, we also get to continue the overall tale of the people within the town. We get to see even more of the characters from the prior books, giving us even more details of what has been happening in their lives. The constant development of their stories throughout make for a great read.

Overall, this was an enjoyable read. I’m finding each book in the series grows stronger, and I cannot wait to see what book four brings.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment