Sunday 11 June 2017

Review: The Unforgiven

The Unforgiven The Unforgiven by A. Katie Rose
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book. Just wow. This book deserves a massive following. It has everything you expect from a fantasy novel, everything a fantasy-lover desires. If you love a good fantasy read, you need to pick this one up.

The Unforgiven is my first A. Katie Rose read, and I’m positive I’ll be reading more of the author’s work based upon how much I enjoyed this one. The world building, the characters, the plot, the writing, and so much more screamed out to me. If the author’s other books are as good as this one, I have some wonderful reads ahead of me.

I’ll be honest and admit I wasn’t completely pulled into this book from the very start, and this is my reason for a four star rating rather than a five star. I was interested in what was happening, yet I felt a bit unsure. The entire book is told from the first person perspective, meaning I was confused when chapter two started from a different point of view to chapter one. I enjoy it when stories alternate perspectives, yet there was no indication of this. As you read the story you grow accustomed to the alternating chapters, one from each character, but at first it left me unsure. I was just wrapping my head around all of the details when things changed drastically. Hence, it felt a bit disjointing and it took a while before I wrapped my head around both characters stories. Once I was there, and once the story got moving, I found myself unable to put the book down.

The world building was wonderful. It’s deep and rich beyond belief. Fantasy creatures of all kinds are involved in this story, coming together in a wonderful way. At first I thought it would be a bit much too wrap my head around, yet the details steadily grow in such a way that the knowledge never feels like a burden. We slowly find out more, things come to light as we progress, and with each page the world becomes more vivid. It really is a story with magical world building, I cannot stress this enough. I could rant and rave for a very long time, yet this world is one of my favourites. It seems so simple in that it takes already established creatures and notions, but the way things come together creates something new and wonderful. Honestly, I could read countless books set in this world and I’m sure I’d never grow tired.

It’s not just the world building that grabbed me, though. The characters are also wonderful. I wasn’t sure about some of the characters at first, but as the story progressed I came to enjoy all of the characters so much. The way each story developed was wonderful, and I enjoyed watching the way certain characters developed. Excluding a handful of side characters, we’re given complex characters across the board. Our main characters in particular are fabulous. I loved watching as my image of them grew with the information that was slowly given. I really wasn’t sure what I would think about certain characters by the end of the story, but by the time the book was over I was sad to say goodbye. I really did come to love everyone in some way. It’s a fabulous cast.

Although slow moving at times, the plot is also wonderful. It has everything you expect from a fantasy novel – prophecy, deceit, and war, to name but three. Each element is so well connected, and watching the way things intertwine make for a brilliant story. No spoilers, but I especially loved the ending. I’ve been wearing a stupid smile on my face since I finished reading, so content was I with the way things came together. You really do experience so much – humour, shock, horror, annoyance, joy, and a wide range of other emotions will filter through your system as you read this.

One thing I came to like more than I expected was the use of language in this one. At first I thought it strange how the characters would occasionally use modern colloquialisms alongside ye olde English. I thought this was the author slipping, that it had happened accidentally. When it became clear it was being used consistently throughout, I found myself rather surprised. It was unexpected, and yet… well, it worked so well. I found myself loving the way the two merged, making for a very unique reading experience when imaging the characters speech. It was unusual, at first, but it really grew on me.

Overall, I loved this one. It was an epic fantasy adventure that left me wanting more, a world that pulled me in, and characters that will stick with me a long time after reading.

If you’re looking for a solid fantasy read, The Unforgiven is certainly for you.

View all my reviews

1 comment: