Tuesday 6 June 2017

Review: Dreams of the Queen

Dreams of the Queen Dreams of the Queen by Jacqueline Patricks
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I’m extremely picky when it comes to my sci-fi reads. Yes, I read a lot of science fiction books, yet it is rare for me to become truly addicted to such series. My expectations are usually quite high, the scientific part of my mind in overdrive. Therefore, I went into this book the same way I go into all science fiction books – I went in with my fingers crossed and tentatively clawing at the back of my mind.

I’ll admit that it took me a few chapters before I was pulled into this book. Whilst it was interesting from the start, it took me a few chapters before I was completely pulled into the story. This was mainly because the story was being set out, the characters introduced, and it was necessary information before the story really started to move. It was enjoyable, yet it felt more like a three star strolling alone read than a four star rating.

Then things started to move, the book jumping to a solid four-star rating.

It’s one of those stories where things go from merely moving forward to an all-out sprint. One moment you’re merely reading the book, the next you’re truly living the story. You’re pulled in, unable to put the book down. The story and the characters grip you, each and every element of the story interesting you in some way. You may not like everything that occurs, but you’ll be interested to see how things play out. You know throughout that all of the elements are going to come together; you’re constantly looking for how everything connects.

I’m going to be honest by admitting to something – I wasn’t as surprised by some of the twists as I probably should have been. In fact, I managed to predict most of the big twists from quite early on. I wasn’t sure about the little things, of how things played out, and such is what stopped me from rolling my eyes when my expectations turned out to be the reality of the situation. You see, the little details are so wonderful. All the little things come together so well that working out the big plot details wasn’t as detrimental as it could have been. I was still able to watch the little things unfold; I was able to appreciate the much bigger picture behind the things I managed to work out.

Not to mention the story is all kinds of addictive. You’re really sucked into the world, you come to enjoy the characters so much, and it has all the necessary elements to leave you wanting more. Even when you’re aware of things, you’re still curious about the new details being introduced. There is always something more for you to figure out, always something more to pull you in.

Honestly, this was a wonderful story. I was addicted from start to finish, the ending leaving me jumping straight into the second book.

This is well worth a read for anyone looking for a new sci-fi book to dive into.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment