Friday 9 June 2017

Review: Stalker, My Love

Stalker, My Love Stalker, My Love by Zack Scott
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Stalker, My Love turned out to be so much more than I’d been anticipating. From the moment I read the synopsis, I was intrigued; however, I wasn’t quite sure what the book would give me. I read so many books of this ilk that I often fear I’m going to be reading a carbon copy of something I’ve read before. Fortunately, this book was a wonderful read. It gripped me from the start, and I could not put the book down. If you do not read it in a single sitting, then your thoughts will be consumed by the story in the hours between your reads. It is, without a doubt, a thoroughly addictive read.

The first chapter introduces us to the stalker. It is one of those books where you quickly come to enjoy a character you probably shouldn’t. The anti-hero air surrounds him, letting you know he’s not the bad guy everyone paints him to be. Yet the word ‘stalker’ has you worried – you shouldn’t like this guy. Nevertheless, by the time you reach the end of the chapter you like him. You like him a lot. As the story progresses you come to like him more and more. The first chapter had you believing there was more to him than meets the eye, and each time you find out more about him, he grows as a character.

He’s not the only character to grow throughout the story, oh no. Nor is he the only character to pull mixed feelings from you. As the story progresses you views towards many characters change. We have a best friend that makes you question friendship. We have a boyfriend who makes you question love. We have a mother who makes you question family. Everyone makes you question something. Everyone is layered in mystery, keeping secrets, trying to protect himself or herself, and making a general mess of a bad situation. It is wonderful – everything combines so well, leaving you unsure as to what development will come next.

I admit to being a bit tentative at times. Ever since Gone Girl the craze has been to create characters people dislike, to leave you questioning everyone, and to make it look like everyone is unhinged. There were moments where I feared this book would slip into this territory. Fortunately, the book never derailed. It followed a steady path, and I found myself pulled into all of the stories that were unfolding. I admit to working out quite a few of the details – I’m a crime thriller aficionado, so this happens a lot – but there were some details that kept me guessing throughout. Things are constantly being added to create more layers to the story, and you’re never quite one hundred percent sure of what the end result will be.

Without a doubt, this is one hell of an addictive read.

If you’re looking for something to keep you guessing, something that really pulls you in, a story with as many layers as the onion sitting in your kitchen, then pick this up. It is so much more than you’re imagining it to be – it’s one of those stories that will stay with you long after you finish reading.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment