Sunday 25 June 2017

Review: Opaque

Opaque Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I’m going to be completely honest – I was unsure about this one at first. The synopsis grabbed me, but when I started reading the book, I feared I was not going to enjoy it. To put it simply, I wasn’t pulled in. I wasn’t enjoying the characters, the story wasn’t moving at the rate I had been expected, and I just wanted more.

Then that ‘more’ hit me – and damn did it hit hard.

I cannot give you an exact page number, an exact sentence, when the change happened – but once the change happened, I could not put the story down. It went from a possible three star rating to a solid four star rating in the blink of the eye, from a story that felt like it would take forever to finish to a single sitting read. In other words, what I’m saying is that you need to give this one a chance. It may not grab you straight away, but I assure you, the story is wonderful once it gets moving.

There’s a lot to take in with this one, the story being extremely rich. We have complex characters – they’re multidimensional, we watch them develop, and they’re more than simply ‘good’ or ‘bad’. We have wonderful world building – a variety of powers, a rich history, and a story that merges in multiple ways. We have a storyline that holds you attention – the individual character storylines, the overall story arc, and the way everything comes together to leave you experiencing a wide mix of emotions throughout.

I honestly cannot begin to express how much my view of this story changed as I continued to read. My love for each new element grew stronger and stronger, leaving me thoroughly addicted to the story. I cannot wait to see where the series heads from here – there are so many possibilities, so many things I wish to find out more about, and I’m positive I will love the future books even more than I came to love this one.

Without a doubt, this one is well worth the read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment