Thursday 22 June 2017

Review: True North

True North True North by Elizabeth Burgess
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really enjoy the Complex series – in all honesty, I have not read as many of the books as I would like to be able to claim I have – but all I’ve read I’ve found to be a lot of fun. True North is no different – whilst it’s not my favourite in the series, it’s certainly an enjoyable read.

As with all the other books in the series, this book offers up a drama-filled romance in a complicated world of supernatural creatures. I really enjoyed the use of mages in this one, as none of the prior books I have read in this series has used mages. It was a very simple approach when compared to the mermaids and giants that make up my favourite reads in this series, but it was still enjoyable – in fact, the simplicity of magic users made this enjoyable in a completely different manner.

It’s a book of overcoming prejudice, of shifting views, keeping the story very much in line with the series. I would have personally liked a bit more depth when it came to the development of the mages and their hatred of humans, but that’s mostly because I adore rich histories. We’re given an enjoyable history, yet I wanted a little bit more from it. Nevertheless, it did supply us with a great backdrop.

For me, the reason I didn’t enjoy this one quite as much as I enjoyed some of the other books in the series, this one felt as though things progressed much too quick. I like slow build up when it comes to romance, and things seemed to change in the blink of the eye. In fact, a lot about this one seemed to happen quickly. You can easily work out how things are going to tie together – the way the romance will play out along with who is really the bad guy – and I would have liked for things to have another couple of layers just to shake things up a bit.

It was enjoyable, yes, but it felt too quick for me. Mostly it’s because I’m comparing it to my favourite books in this series – whilst all the books are short and snappy reads, this one felt shorter and snappier than my favourites.

Enjoyable, yes. A great addition to the series, yes. Worth the read, yes.

Although it’s not my favourite, I’d certainly recommend it for fans of the Complex series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment