Tuesday 18 December 2018

Review: A Dark So Deadly

A Dark So Deadly A Dark So Deadly by Stuart MacBride
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Stuart MacBride is one of my favourite crime writes, an author I’ll pick up no matter what. The Logan McRae books are easily my favourite Stuart MacBride books, but I’ve had fun with all his work. Thus, I was eager to see what A Dark So Deadly would bring.

The take home message from A Dark So Deadly is that the Misfit Mob makes the cast of the Logan McRae books look downright professional. On many occasions throughout the Logan McRae books I have found myself shaking my head at the improbability of such a thing happening within the police force, but after reading A Dark So Deadly such moments seem tame. With A Dark So Deadly, Stuart MacBride pushes things as far as he can, pushing us to suspend our belief to the point where we’re almost unable to.

Despite how unlikely and downright outrageous parts of this book are, it’s very much worth the read if you’re a Stuart MacBride fan. This one contains all the things I’ve come to love so much about Stuart MacBride’s work – the gritty crime, the multiple layers to the story, the humour, the enjoyable characters, and a storyline that leaves you turning the pages in the hope of more.

From the very start, I was hooked. I was pulled into the story and unable to put it down until I worked out how everything came together. I admit there were times when this one seemed to drag a bit – it is, after all, a bit bigger than most of his work, and I feel as though some parts could have been cut down a bit – and there were also times when things were a bit predictable. However, this did not lessen my enjoyment. I remained hooked throughout, enjoying all that occurred.

In fact, I’d rather like to see another book following the Misfit Mob. A Dark So Deadly would be a great way to introduce us to another series, despite the fact it’s stated to be a standalone novel. If not a standalone, then perhaps an interlude in the Ash Henderson series – after all, we get plenty of nods towards the series throughout this one.

Whether A Dark So Deadly remains a standalone or ends up being the start of a new series, it is certainly worth the read if you’re looking for a gripping crime novel.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment