Tuesday 4 December 2018

Review: Spinning Silver

Spinning Silver Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Naomi Novik has caught my attention on many occasions, and I’ve told myself countless times to pick up one of her books and read it. Uprooted is the one I always come back to, yet I own His Majesty’s Dragon (the first of the Temeraire books). Despite this, Spinning Silver was the one I jumped into when I found it sitting in the library.

I’m going to be honest and say I was a bit unsure when I first started Spinning Silver. I was excited for a retelling – even if it was a very loose retelling – but I found it a bit difficult to get into the story. We have multiple points of view, and we jump from one to the other without an indication of which point of view we are jumping to. Sure, it becomes obvious very quickly, but the jumps jarred my brain at first. Then, when I did get used to it, we had even more points of views introduced later in the book, making my head spin again.

However, once I was accustomed to this strange way of delivering the story, I found myself able to get into what was happening. With multiple stories being told, it was great to watch the way they all came together. I was unsure how they all would link at first, seeing the most basic of links, but as the story progressed everything came together wonderfully. There were multiple layers to enjoy, and I had so much fun seeing the way everything was tied up so well.

I admit, I feel as though we had more build up than action. It was an intricate story, we got to watch as everything came about and things progressed, and when the big scene came at the end it was over quite quickly. Although I did want more, seeing the way everything came together was enjoyable enough to overshadow my expectations of something bigger.

Overall, Spinning Silver was an interesting story. It wasn’t what I had imagined it would be, but I found myself addicted. I’ll certainly be diving into more of the author’s work in the future, especially now I know I’m likely to enjoy it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment