Wednesday 12 December 2018

Review: Tall, Dark and Tempting

Tall, Dark and Tempting Tall, Dark and Tempting by Erika Wilde
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Erika Wilde is an author who has caught my attention on a number of occasions, yet I’ve only read one of her books when she’s writing with Carly Phillips. Rock Solid, the Erika Wilde and Carly Phillips book I have read, was really enjoyable and I’ve been meaning to read more of both authors since, yet Tall, Dark and Tempting was the first chance I got to dive into more of either.

Although Tall, Dark and Tempting is the third book in a series, it works perfectly fine as a standalone novel. We got to see the characters from the prior books – and I’m now interested in going back to find out more about them – but it is not necessary to have read their stories to understand this one.

With Tall, Dark and Tempting offering up the friends to lovers trope, one I really enjoy, I was eager to dive into this one. In the end, though, I had rather mixed feelings about this one. Some parts I really enjoyed, other parts I found to be lacking. There were times when I thought this one could receive a four-star rating, but in the end I couldn’t quite bring myself to do so. Thus, this is a rounded down three-point-five-star read.

I think my biggest issue is this one didn’t quite have the depth I would have liked for the story. When it comes to tropes that are really popular, you need to wow me to win me over. With this one, things felt rather basic. I prefer much more depth, and Tall, Dark and Tempting didn’t have enough to wow me.

Nevertheless, it was enjoyable for a quick read. It’s also left me intrigued about the next Erika Wilde and Carly Phillips series – The Boyfriend Experience. Total Package, the first book in the series, is going to tell the story of one of the side characters that interested me in this one, and I’m excited to see how the story plays out.

Overall, this wasn’t quite what I’d hoped for, but it was an enjoyable quick read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment