Friday 28 December 2018

Review: Strip Jack

Strip Jack Strip Jack by Ian Rankin
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I always feel as though I should adore Ian Rankin’s Rebus books, as they tick so many boxes when it comes to things I love. Add in the fact they’re immensely popular, and I’m always surprised when I finish the book wanting more. With the first three books in the series, I was able to give three-star ratings. With this fourth book, however, I found I didn’t enjoy the book at all.

I’ll be honest and say, at first, I thought I could give this a two-star rating. Unfortunately, the more I read, the less interested I was in the story. I simply could not get into this one – I didn’t care for the characters or the events, and things seemed to drag far too much. I kept waiting, expecting something big to happen, yet I feel as though it never occurred. Sure, the last chapter brought about an interesting conclusion, but it did not make up for how difficult I found the rest of the book to be.

I’ve said it before – Rebus is never going to be one of my favourite detectives. However, the first three books had me believing I could be won over with the series. This fourth book has me wanting to put the series on hold for a while. I’ll continue – at least with the next couple of books, as I own them – but I’m no longer so eager.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment