Saturday 15 December 2018

Review: Lexi

Lexi Lexi by Heidi J. Hewett
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Heidi J. Hewett’s Lexi is one of those books that surprised me. I expected an interesting read, I was ready to be entertained, but I was not ready to be as addicted to this one as I was. Once I started Lexi, I found I could not put the book down. I was sucked in, gripped, and unable to turn my attention away from the story playing out before me. With so much to enjoy with this one, I was a goner from the start.

I love a good science fiction romance and was instantly intrigued by the notion of Lexi. It’s one of those science fiction notions where there are other options out there, but you know you’re going to get something original – although these kinds of books exist, they’re not as popular as other science fiction romance books. After all, it is very much a case of aliens over robots in the genre. Thus, there was a lot of room for where this one could go.

From the very start, I knew this was going to be the most unique of all the books I have read in the genre. I cannot give a specific thing that shouted out ‘this is unique’, instead it was an amalgamation of all the different elements that hooked me. Each element that was introduced sucked me in deeper, demonstrating just how unique this story was.

As I said, I was hooked to this one throughout. The first page pulled me in deep and left me curious to see how all the elements would play out. We’re thrown straight into the story, and plenty occurs throughout. With great characters, well written science, plenty of action, plenty of emotion, and all kinds of twists, this one will have you gripped on so many levels.

In fact, this is one of those books where I could sit and make a bullet point list of all the ways in which the book wowed me, but to do so would be to take away the shock factor of things being introduced. Just know, once you start Lexi you will be unable to put the book down.

All in all, Lexi was a strong four-point-five-star rating. The reason I opted to round down instead of up is because the romance wasn’t quite what I had expected. I’d been expecting a bit more, went in expecting to be given a heavier romance than I was, and was a bit surprised by what I was given. If I had not been expecting more in the realm of the romance, I probably would have opted to round up. This, of course, is a reflection of the way in which I rate books rather than a reflection of the book – anyone who follows my reviews will know I look for reasons not to give a five-star rating rather than a reason to give it, as I only hand out my five-star ratings to the absolute very best (hence why I have given so few five-star ratings).

Nevertheless, I adored this one, and am certainly going to be looking at other Heidi J. Hewett books, as I need more of the wonderful storytelling I was introduced to here.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment