Friday 28 December 2018

Review: Forgiving Keven

Forgiving Keven Forgiving Keven by Siobhan Davis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I adore The Kennedy Boys series and have been holding out for this story. You see, Keven has always been my favourite of the boys, and I could not wait to see how his story played out. Sure, I was interested in all the stories, but I was truly desperate for Keven. I needed it, more than I needed any of the other books in the series – which is really something when you consider how desperate I’ve been for each of the books.

There was another thing that made me super excited for this one – Siobhan Davis said this is the first book she would truly label as romantic suspense. Books that fall into the categories of thriller, suspense, mystery, along with related genres such as police procedural, are some of my favourites. In fact, there was a time where they were the only type of book I would read. Thus, I was excited for a Siobhan Davis book that was a romantic suspense.

At the same time, a part of me was concerned. The reason I stopped reading so many books that fall into the aforementioned categories is because they no longer felt like they were what the genre is supposed to be. Instead of being thrills and suspense, the books were all about drama. I enjoy a good bit of drama, but when books are labelled thriller or suspense, I’m in it for the thrills and suspense not the drama – if that was the case, there are plenty of options out there where the books are dramatic and labelled as such. Although I would say Forgiving Keven falls into the same trap – just because there are FBI agents and a big case that results in some action, it does not mean it is a suspense book – I did enjoy the story. It was very much in line with the rest of The Kennedy Boys series, meaning it was drama filled and entertaining.

Was it my favourite book in the series? Honestly, no. Despite Keven being the Kennedy brother I’ve been most intrigued about, this is not my favourite story. It was fun, yes, but it was not my favourite. I’ve enjoyed some of the other books more. It’s a four-star rating, sure, but compared to some of the other books it is a weaker four-star rating. It’s a four-star rating sitting next to four-point-five-star ratings. Fun and worth the read, certainly a great addition to the series, but not my favourite.

Although this one works perfectly fine as a standalone novel, I would recommend reading the other books in the series first. At the very least, Seducing Kaden. With Forgiving Keven, we build quite a bit upon the prior book. There are many references to events and situations that were introduced in the prior book, and the best effect is had if you know what took place. It’s not a necessity, but it certainly makes for a better reading experience.

With plenty of drama throughout, you’ll be hooked to the story and more than happy to read it in a single sitting. You’re left desperate to see how everything comes together, eager to see how things play out, and in love with all that occurs. It has everything this series has become known for – the drama and romance, the great characters and gripping storyline, and so many other goodies that ensure you’re hooked throughout – guaranteeing you’ll be plenty pleased with the seventh book in the series.

As ever, we also get a look at what is to come next. We only have the triplets left, and this one leaves us with plenty of questions about how their stories will play out. Without a doubt, I’m once again eager to see what the next book in The Kennedy Boys series brings.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment