Monday 4 November 2019

Review: Our War

Our War Our War by Craig DiLouie
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Craig DiLouie’s Our War is a book that is not as out there as it could be, considering the current political landscape. In fact, in some ways, this could be seen as a warning of what could come. I tend to steer clear of discussing all things political – everyone is welcome to their own view, and I’d rather avoid any arguments that could occur – so I’m not going to dig into the political messages of the story, I’ll simply focus on what I thought of the story itself.

With Our War, Craig DiLouie gives a story that is filled with gritty emotion and leaves you turning the pages to see how everything comes together. You get to see plenty of different sides in the story, digging deep into their lives and how war has changed the way they are living. Some characters you’ll love, others you will hate, but everything will have you desperate to see how things come together.

As much as I enjoyed the gritty emotions and the realism throughout, I did find it rather difficult to get into at first. It took a while for me to wrap my head around the different sides of the war, along with the details of how things reached the point they did, which made it somewhat hard for me to understand at first. I also would have liked a wee bit more action than was given, but that’s simply because I’m an action kind of person with these types of stories. The emotion more than hooked me, but I wanted a wee bit more drama and action from the ending.

If you’re looking for a book that covers the emotional and political landscape of war rather than focusing on the action, Our War is certainly a book worth grabbing.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment